Event 3: Getty

For my third event, I had the opportunity to take a short trip up to our local museum, the Getty. This was my first time going to this museum even though I am a Los Angeles local, and let me just say, the experience was amazing. The way the whole museum was built on a mountain, the tram, and the whole facility itself was just jaw dropping. I first walked into the Italian art in the Renaissance exhibit.


Walking through the exhibit, I was greeted by a large gold ornate model featuring Saint James Major. The gold backdrop made it pop out and capture passer's attention, and the placement of it in the room called for instant attention. 




I looked at this painting called Venus and Adonis, and the piece was huge! It took extra time looking at the fine detail that made up each pixel, and if I were this artist, I would have gone insane and the amount of realism that was depicted in this painting. I just love how paintings are able to become interpretations of artists imaginations based off these stories, as it depicts a story of sorrow as Adonis is killed on a hunt despite the plead of his lover, Venus, who stays behind. Of course, these paintings could have skewed representations of actual events, and its up to the audience to interpret and create their own meaning out if it. This is an intrinsic quality of humans; to be able to create connections to people by fire neurons in our brains; according to science.



The last piece I looked at before leaving was the Pair of Sphinxes on Scrolls. It was a composite piece, made up of a woman, and the lower limbs of a reclining lion. According to ancient mythology, these pieces were depicted as demons, and during the Renaissance, these were guardians to portals or tombs. I think it's astonishing to see that a single composite can create different meanings for different people. On top of that, this type of piece is made by infusing different cultures, the mind, and a piece of an individual's soul. The mind was clearly wandering free, and didn't fall to any type social norm.

I would definitely recommend going to the Getty. It was a great experience to look at some historical pieces. All the pieces can tell a very different story, and leaves your mind open to interpretation of our past, and opens up doors for your future of creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment